I Got a Bee in My Bonnet

My mind is forever thinking of new projects that I want to do. Sometimes the ideas get to "buzzin" around so fast that I feel like I have bees swarming around in my head. This saying actually came from my grandmother. She used to say, when she had an idea about how to do something, "I got a bee in my bonnet and I couldn't rest until I got it out." So, when I think of something new I want to do, I can't rest until I get that bee out of my bonnet. Ü

Friday, June 20, 2008

Proud to be an American

(WARNING: PATRIOTIC OPINION FOLLOWS)

I spent yesterday at the VA Hospital in Little Rock because a friend of mine, who happens to be a Vietnam Vet, was having a kidney stone removed. As I sat in the outpatient surgery area with his wife, watching vets of all ages come and go, I was overcome with gratitude for what these men and women have done for our country. It overwhelmed me to think of the sacrifices they have made so that our country can remain free. Some of them were very old...veterans from the WWII era. Others were from the Vietnam War and still others from Desert Storm right on up to the present war with Iraq. No matter which conflict they were in, they all seemed to have a pride about them for having served in our armed forces. They went willingly when called, fought bravely while there and returned never to be the same again. Some returned with limbs missing while others returned with emotional scars, such as post traumatic stress syndrome, that will never go away. Some of the vets I saw yesterday were suffering with tremors, heart disease or cancers possibly due to the conditions they were in while defending our freedoms. But I am confident if you asked them if they would serve again, they would say they would gladly do it all again in a heart beat, because they were proud to have had the opportunity to fight for this great country.

While sitting and watching those vets yesterday, I felt honored and at the same time humbled to be in their presence. I guess I am just a very patriotic person by nature or by training because military men and women have always held a special place in my heart. My Dad served in the army and was stationed in Japan in 1945. I have had many uncles, cousins and an aunt who have served this country in the various branches of the armed forces since WWII. I am very grateful for the contribution they have made so that we, as Americans, can live safely in this country. It really saddens and yes, even angers me to hear arrogant, impudent, knuckled-headed people put down our military and the jobs they do. Don't they know, without the actions and sacrifices of these brave men and women in uniform these "conscientious objectors," like the above mentioned, would not be allowed the right to speak so boldly and with such malice?
I know I am on my soap box and just rambling on, but I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all our military forces for the great job they do to protect us and the freedoms we enjoy. I, for one, am very proud to be an American and to live in the greatest country in the world...the USA! We don't need to take that privilege for granted....because Freedom is not Free. It comes with a price.


I tend to agree with Maxine, the cartoon character, when she says....


"We need to show more sympathy for these people.
* They travel miles in the heat.
* They risk their lives crossing a border.
* They don't get paid enough wages.
* They do jobs that others won't do or are afraid to do.
* They live in crowded conditions among a people who speak a different language.
* They rarely see their families and they face adversity all day every day...
I'm not talking about illegal Mexicans,
I'm talking about our troops!
Doesn't it seem strange that many Democrats and Republicans are willing to lavish all kinds of social benefits on illegal's, but don't support our troops and are now threatening to cut funding for them?"
Remember our soldiers...God Bless them all!


AND GOD BLESS THE USA!

1 comment:

Billie said...

I felt the need to stand up and salute! YOu go!