I Got a Bee in My Bonnet

My mind is forever thinking of new projects that I want to do. Sometimes the ideas get to "buzzin" around so fast that I feel like I have bees swarming around in my head. This saying actually came from my grandmother. She used to say, when she had an idea about how to do something, "I got a bee in my bonnet and I couldn't rest until I got it out." So, when I think of something new I want to do, I can't rest until I get that bee out of my bonnet. Ü

Monday, June 16, 2008

57 Years of Love

Today my Mother and Daddy celebrate 57 years of marriage. Wow! That is a long time. And to think, they only had $25 to their name when they married. They didn't even have dishes, linens, or towels. Mother told me that her mother had given them a plate, cup, fork, knife, and spoon, along with a pot. Daddy's mother gave them about the same thing. And that is how they started out their married life. They moved into a little efficiency apartment above their landlord's garage. The only thing they had to cook meals on was a toaster oven and a hot plate. Since it was a garage apartment, Daddy could not even stand to his full stature anywhere other than right in the middle. Airconditioning was relatively unheard of in 1951 therefore, it was very hot, being that they married in the middle of June. So after their first night of trying to sleep in that heat, their first purchase was a oscellating fan, which they still have to this day.
Mother and Daddy have weathered many trials during their 57 years of marriage, from job layoffs (which happened right after they moved into a new house and Shelia and I were 3 and 5 years old) to health related issues. But these trials have only served to make them stronger and closer to one another. They came from poor farm families who were people of integrity that believed in working hard without complaint but with thankful hearts for what the Lord had given you. These latter years have seen Mother lose her eyesight and Daddy has suffered a heart attack, triple by pass surgery and the instillation of a pacemaker. Although, they have had to sacrifice and delay gratification at times, they have enjoyed retirement in a house that is totally paid for and two vehicles on which they owe nothing. All of this acquired on a policeman/deputy sheriff's and teacher's salaries...two of the lowest paid jobs in our society.
I am very proud of my parents. They are both well known and well respected in the town of El Dorado, AR. Both have touched many lives in their own way....Mother, through imparting knowledge to children for 30 years in education, mostly as a teacher in the Parkers Chapel School System and Daddy through giving people a sense of security as he helped to keep the town safe as an officer of the law.
So, it was great pride that I wish them a very Happy Anniversary! I am honored to be their daughter.

3 comments:

The Fintons said...

I love your blog! What a beautiful picture your girls gave you for your birthday! I will have to add your blog to my daily read list. I love reading blogs. Iris and I used to attend church together at Markham Street Baptist in LR. We were in SS class together. We met them through her sister-in-law, Rebecca Townsend (who also went to our church). Rebecca and my husband used to work together. He is a therapist as well. Iris and Matt have a blog they just started http://www.howofhow.blogspot.com/
if you want to check it out.

Alison said...

What a heritage we have!

Iris said...

hi mrs. g! what a small world! we just started our blog and i knew i'd probably let more of our friends from school know about it, funny how you found it through ashley! now we can check out each other's blogs regularly! it'll be nice to keep in touch over the summer!