I Got a Bee in My Bonnet

My mind is forever thinking of new projects that I want to do. Sometimes the ideas get to "buzzin" around so fast that I feel like I have bees swarming around in my head. This saying actually came from my grandmother. She used to say, when she had an idea about how to do something, "I got a bee in my bonnet and I couldn't rest until I got it out." So, when I think of something new I want to do, I can't rest until I get that bee out of my bonnet. Ü

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Deep cleaning....

Today was my second day to spend deep cleaning my house. I decided when I got out of school that I was going to spend at least the first week cleaning my house. My goal is to take one room per day and clean it from top to bottom. I spent Monday and today on this task.

I guess my inspiration for doing this chore was my daughters request that I get rid of some of my "collections" as they do not want to have to go through all my stuff should something happen to me and I leave it all behind. Sooooo.....with this thought in mind I headed for my bathroom with big black trash bags (leaf size) in hand. Let me just admit from the outset, I am an collector and a saver. I feel sure I am not the only one like this but you know the type...you somehow acquire a collection of things, (soaps from hotels, shampoo samples, random skin care products with just a little left so you don't throw it away, because you might use it someday, as with perfumes, afterbath sprays, etc. etc. ) I spent at least 2 hours just going through the shelves and tossing the majority of the stuff in them. I filled two garbage size bags of old perfumes, lotions, soaps, skin care products, travel items, permanent rods, hair products, etc. They were not completely to the top full but filled to the point that I had a difficult time carrying them outside to the big trash can. Finally, I had my cabinets down to just the things I actually use. Wow! What a good feeling!

With the bathroom clean and shining, I headed for my bedroom dresser. Why in the world I hang on to gowns that are two sizes too small, as well as slips, bras and girdles that I do not want to even try to squeeze myself into is beyond me. So, I ridded my dresser drawers of all the extra things and have much more room for the undies that I do wear. I did the same thing in my closet with all my shoes. By the time I finished I was beginning to think I had a hording problem like the lady who was on Oprah not too long ago. I am really not that bad but it sure took me long enough to get all my belongs pared down to just the things I actually use. I have saved the things that are in good shape to give to Good Will or to a church clothes closet. At least someone will get some use out of all those things that have just been sitting on my shelves or in my dresser for let's just say a good number of years.

Today I headed into the second bathroom and did the same thing. Funny how you are not as sentimental about things on the second day of deep cleaning. I threw away another bag of collected junk from this bathroom as well. Why, oh why, do I keep every little thing? By the time I finish this monstrous task, I hope to have all my closets, drawers and cabinets cleaned and in a manageable shape. I went through my kitchen several months ago so hopefully I won't have as much to do in there. However, my computer/scrapbook room and closet....oh my...it may take me two days of work in that room! But once this cleaning binge is done...I can relax and enjoy the rest of my summer off. I may even get caught up on all my scrapbooking and card making that I have let slide over the last months!

4 comments:

Billie said...

2545 Sapphire Drive
Conway, AR 72032

Your NEXT destination!

Alison said...

Oh this is MUSIC TO MY EARS!!! Isn't it just a good feeling to really clean out everything! Can't wait to see all this cleaning. I'm sure we will see you this weekend for Father's Day!

Andrea said...

See!!!! I knew I got it from somewhere!!!! It was from YOU!!!! lol! Love you!

AliciaG said...

Yes, Andrea, it was from me that you got your tendency to save everything...but there does come a time when you have to just throw it all away!! LOL