I Got a Bee in My Bonnet

My mind is forever thinking of new projects that I want to do. Sometimes the ideas get to "buzzin" around so fast that I feel like I have bees swarming around in my head. This saying actually came from my grandmother. She used to say, when she had an idea about how to do something, "I got a bee in my bonnet and I couldn't rest until I got it out." So, when I think of something new I want to do, I can't rest until I get that bee out of my bonnet. Ü

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Hair Cut for Chewy

This week while Camryn and the Ross' are in Vegas, Andrea is getting the chance to keep her dog, Chewy. She has been staying at the Ross' for the past 4 years because Andrea was living in an apartment and because Chewy is a big dog she needed more space. At the Ross' she stays outside and has not had much pampering..i.e. no grooming. Therefore, her hair was just full of mats and knots to the point that it was hampering her movement. We thought she was not moving very fast because she was getting old. After all, she is nine years old. Come to find out, her lack of vim and vigor had more to do with her matted hair condition.

Well, Andrea could not stand seeing her matted up like this so she decided to borrow clippers from my friend Christine to cut Chewy's hair. And of course she was going to need my help with this project. I had told Christine to be ready in case we needed her expertise. Before I even got to Andrea's I called Christine because I decided that since neither of us knew the first thing about clipping a dog's hair we better call in the pro. Christine, Russell and Ashley came to help with this chore. Since Chewy has never been too fond of men, we had Russell stay inside the house for his safety.

Christine was wonderful. She allowed Chewy to get to know her first and then the clipping began. Chewy did wonderfully. She seemed to enjoy all the attention. When she realized Christine was not going to hurt her she laid very still as the hair, knots and mats began to fall away. She allowed her to get up after one side was clipped because Chewy was getting antsy and the clippers were getting hot. Here is what she looked like after one side was complete.








After a brief rest Christine began on the second side. Again, Chewy was calm and cooperative while Christine was clipping until she got around to the underside of her tail. The following pictures show the process of her hair cut. It was amazing how her personality changed once the hair was gone. She ran around and jumped and was much more frisky. We determined that possibly the matted hair and knots were impeding her movement. She seemed to be genuinely grateful to have all that hair with all the knots gone. The next chore is to give her a bath because she is really dirty and stinky.

See how still she sat while Christine did her magic.




















It was at this point that Chewy gave a little growl...she did not like having her hair cut there.










She looks like a wolf that has on furry boots.







3 comments:

Alison said...

Oh my goodness!! LOL!! She looks naked! But I'm sure she feels much better. I noticed that Wal-Mart has the little hard plastic pools for about $8. That might be the best option for Chewy's bath.

Billie said...

She looks like a little wolf!

John, Kim, Josh and Meagan said...

Make sure the dog stays out of the sun till her hair grows in. Dogs can get a very bad sun burn when their skin is visible.