I Got a Bee in My Bonnet

My mind is forever thinking of new projects that I want to do. Sometimes the ideas get to "buzzin" around so fast that I feel like I have bees swarming around in my head. This saying actually came from my grandmother. She used to say, when she had an idea about how to do something, "I got a bee in my bonnet and I couldn't rest until I got it out." So, when I think of something new I want to do, I can't rest until I get that bee out of my bonnet. Ü

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Camp Victory Family Weekend with Camryn!!!

Victory Bible Camp Family Weekend is something I always look forward to. This place holds such precious memories for me because it is where my spiritual roots began. It was here that I made some of the most important decisions of my life that have shaped who I am today. I always love to go back to this place at the beginning of the my summer break to get my "battery recharged" so to speak after a long school year.

This year Bro. Sam (who was my pastor from age 15 until we moved from El Dorado in 1988) called on Norman and I do be in charge of the music for the weekend. Although we are certainly not musicians or of as high quality as some of the groups they have had in the past, we both have a deep love for Camp Victory and Bro. Sam so we agreed to do this. It was a tremendous blessing to be able to sing for and lead the music for the weekend.

Another blessing was getting to have our granddaughter go with us for the weekend. Her first reaction when we drove in the gate was, "Is this it?" Said with some apprehension and disappointment because all she was able to see at that point was the old "Big House" as it is called. We told her this was only the front, that there was alot more to see. As we drove on into the camp and parked in front of the dining hall, she said, with awe in her voice, "I think I am gonna like this place!" We had hardly gotten out of the car good til she was climbing up in the Beaudart tree that is there.

We checked in and found out that we were getting to stay in one of the front rooms of the Big House, which was a real treat. Not only that, they said we didn't have to pay for our weekend since we were providing the music. Now, I am sure you are thinking what is so special about the Big House. WELL, in my days as a camper, it was reserved for the camp director and the special speakers. I was in awe of the fact that we were getting to stay there following in the steps of some really super people.

We hardly got our things unpacked til Camryn wanted to go back down to the dining hall area. We said sure, because one of the neat things about Camp Victory, is that it is a safe place and you can let the kids run and play to their hearts content. I told Camryn there was only one rule she must adhere to...and that is when you hear the bell ring, you must come running to the dining hall because that means it is time to eat! Within minutes, Camryn had made friends with 3 little girls who were grandchildren of one of the cooks. From that time on, they were together all the time. As the weekend progressed, their friendship grew and it did my heart good to see Camryn love Camp Victory as much as I always have. She even said on Sunday that she did not want to leave...she wanted to stay as a camper. However, that will come when she has completed 3rd grade. At least she will know what to expect when the time comes.

Saturday they had meetings and then free time and that meant....Swim time! Camryn was a little unsure about getting into the pond and it took her a while to decide to get in, but once she did, she loved it too. Side note..it is a pond so they did have to get out at one point because the lifeguard spotted a water moccasin swimming off in the distance. It was quickly shooed into the brush by rocks being chunked at it. Here are a few pictures of the pond and Camryn swimming with her friends.
Camryn and Tenekias
Break time for the life guards...everybody out!

Camryn made friends with a dog of one of the campers.

A view of the pond
The dock
Camryn trying to make up her mind to get in again.
Finally in!!!
Love that sweet smiling face!
Camp would not be camp without game time with Vicki!
Norman and Chris attempting to catch the water balloon Leah threw to them.
And then there was the water cup relay.
They won! Filled up their can first!


Our dream is to own a Trike and take trips around the country with some of our friends who have bikes. One of the men at camp came up on his Harley Trike and we were both in awe of it. He asked if I would like to take a ride on it and of course I said, Yes!!! So, he took me for a short ride down to Princeton. It was great! Later, he also took Norman for a ride. Now, we (or at least I) have a real craving to have one. I am starting to save my money!
Don't we look good!!!
Papaw helping Camryn get off the see-saw so she could go see the horses.
She said, "He is blowing his nose on me!"
Bro. Sam and Ms. Dot sitting out in the yard of their cabin, visiting with friends.

Saturday night after the meeting is always special because Bro. Sam leads the group in some silly songs and Vicki has some crazy games planned. Camryn got to be in on one of them.
Spaghetti in the hair!
She is loving it!
Tenekias and AnTonyia are in charge of putting it in Camryn's hair.
How lovely you look!
She looks pretty pleased with her new do!
Bro. Sam asked she and her three friends to do a little hand clap rendition they had been doing earlier. Of course they agreed.
We found out that Bro. Sam and Ms. Dot celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary back in March. So, of course Sonny and Cher had to make a surprise apprearance and sing, "I Got You Babe" for them. They were very shocked and loved it.
Vicki with the duo
Sonny and Cher at their finest.


No Family Weekend would be complete without Bro. Sam taking a group of people to Paris. I felt we needed to capture some of the hilarity on video for others to enjoy.

It was a great weekend of fun, fellowship and relaxation. I forgot to mention that Al and Connie Areheart were the speakers for the weekend. We were so glad to get to catch up with them again. We had shared 7 or 8 years together as friends back when our kids were little. Al was the Youth director during that time. What a blessing to re-connect with them and to have him speak to the group again.

God has truly blessed the ministry of Camp Victory and as Zac Shepperson was sharing on Sunday before we all left, there is something special about being there because God visits Camp Victory. He has called many a young boy and girl who had a willing heart to be used by Him. I am sure there are untold thousands or hundreds of thousands of people who have been reached with the Gospel as a result of the numerous kids who have given their hearts to God to be used by Him while at Camp. We won't know until we reach Heaven! What a glorious day that will be!

4 comments:

Billie said...

Oh, how fun! I don't even know anyone and wanna go next year!

Alison said...

WOW!!! You got to stay in the Big House...yall really moved up! Made my heart ache to go back! I love Camp Victory!

Andrea said...

Umm...funny how you didn't mention to me the whole deadly snake swimming in the same pond my daughter was in. lol. THIS is why I don't swim in places I can't see through! :) Glad y'all had fun.

The Timberframer's Wife said...

I just read your post about the PA trip, too--y'all are having a fun summer!