I Got a Bee in My Bonnet

My mind is forever thinking of new projects that I want to do. Sometimes the ideas get to "buzzin" around so fast that I feel like I have bees swarming around in my head. This saying actually came from my grandmother. She used to say, when she had an idea about how to do something, "I got a bee in my bonnet and I couldn't rest until I got it out." So, when I think of something new I want to do, I can't rest until I get that bee out of my bonnet. Ü

Friday, January 30, 2009

Let the competitions begin....

This past weekend Camryn began another year of dance competition with Ms. Karen's Dance Studio. She is competing in a solo, duet, and two large groups in tap and hip hop. Her solo this year is called, "I'm Going Bananas." She was a little nervous but still did very well. She received 1st place points for her dance (276 out of 300 possible) and placed 2nd in the top 10 of her age division. Her duet with Callen is called, "Holly Rock." They did an awesome job on a fast moving song, even after their brains seem to have left them while warming up. Ms. Marisa was about to hang them on a nail, but they pulled it together and did very well. They also scored 1st place points (275 out of 300) and placed 2nd out of the top ten in their age division. We were very proud of their accomplishments for the weekend. The tap number, "We Rock" got 1st place points (2nd overall) and so did their hip hop number, "Boom, Shake the Room!"(it placed 4th overall) All in all, it was a good beginning for them.

This is Camryn and her proud Momma after her dance was finished.
Camryn and her super teacher, Ms. Marisa!

Comment from Marisa the next day: "She is such a hard worker! I absolutely love working with her! She was amazing this weekend!!!!!!! There are not many things she can't do!!! Maybe we can look at her solo stuff on Thursday!? I can't wait to hear what they (the judges) say!"

Here she is waiting on the awards ceremony to begin.















This is our girl with her solo awards.















And here she is in her "Holly Rock" costume.
















Camryn and Callen practicing before they dance.


A little goofiness prior to their performance to settle the nerves.



And here they are with
all the top ten winners.













We look forward to the year of competitons as we prepare for Nationals in Dallas this summer. It is always exciting as they begin the season to watch them. And then at the end to see how they have grown in their skills and abilities. Camryn never ceases to amaze me with her flexibility and coordination. She obviously didn't get this talent from the Gillaspie side of the family. Even though I took dance as a first and second grader, I was never as good as Camryn is. She is an awesome little dancer!





1 comment:

Billie said...

Yes, she is! So very proud of you, Cam!